Fort Myers Theft Lawyer
Theft offenses can range in severity from misdemeanors to felony offenses. They all come with a stigma of dishonesty that can make it hard to get a job, securing financing, obtaining a professional license, and pursuing other opportunities in life. That’s why a strong defense is critical.
At the Lee Viacava Law Firm in Fort Myers and Naples, theft attorney Lee Viacava can provide an effective defense against any kind of theft charge. He has the skill and experience it takes to mount a solid defense, and has been named among the Top 100 Criminal Defense Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers. You can count on him to protect your freedom and reputation.
Types Of Theft Offenses In Florida
Here are the basics of Florida criminal law with regard to theft offenses:
- Petit theft (petty theft) is typically a misdemeanor involving theft of property valued at $750 or less.
- Petit theft with priors (that is, two or more prior theft offenses) is a third-degree felony.
- Third-degree theft is a felony offense involving property valued between $750 and $19,999. It also applies to theft of motor vehicles, firearms, and certain other property.
- Second-degree theft is a felony involving property between $20,000 and $99,999. It also covers situations where a stolen car is used to commit a crime (which, depending on the circumstances, could be a first-degree felony).
- First-degree theft, the most serious type of felony theft offense, involves property worth $100,000 or more. It also includes looting during a riot and stealing certain types of property such as police equipment, medical equipment, and cargo.
The team has experience with all kinds of theft offenses and can help you whether you’re facing a misdemeanor or felony.
Fighting For A Positive Outcome
In theft cases, the best outcome is getting the case dismissed or receiving a withhold of adjudication. Withholding adjudication means you will not be convicted of the offense, provided you follow all the terms of your probation, which is extremely important for your future. When you work with the firm, the team will explore every angle to protect you against the harsh consequences of a conviction. The Lee Viacava Law Firm knows how to build a strong case and effectively negotiate for a positive outcome.