Skilled And Experienced Defense Against Misdemeanor Charges
Being charged with a crime poses, at best, a disruption to your life and your plans for the future. At worst, criminal charges threaten your freedom and could have a serious negative impact on your financial security. No matter how minor a criminal charge may seem, it is important to address it head-on with the help of a skilled defense attorney.
When you contact the Lee Viacava Law Firm, you’ll find a legal advocate who brings more than 15 years of experience to your case. Our attorney is ready to help you fight or otherwise resolve your misdemeanor charge as efficiently as possible while minimizing the direct and collateral consequences the charges bring.
Understanding Your Charges And Potential Consequences
There are perhaps hundreds of crimes that can result in misdemeanor charges. Misdemeanors are classified as either first-degree or second-degree, with first-degree being the most serious. If convicted of a first-degree misdemeanor, you could face fines, jail time and/or probation.
Some of the most common first-degree misdemeanors include:
- DUI (.15 or above, damage or with a minor in the vehicle)
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Criminal mischief (damages between $200 and $1000)
- Cruelty to animals
- Discharging a firearm in public
- Domestic violence battery
- Indecent exposure or exposure of a sexual organ
- Obstruction by disguised person
- Obtain property in exchange for worthless check
- Petit theft second offense, or first offense with value between $100 and $300
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Possession of marijuana (not more than 20 grams)
- Probation violations
- Resisting without violence
- Trespass on property other than structure or conveyance
Some of the most common second-degree misdemeanors include:
- Criminal mischief
- Culpable negligence
- Disorderly intoxication
- Disorderly conduct
- Loitering or prowling
- Petit theft, first offense
- Prostitution, first offense
- Probation violations
- Public nuisance
- Reckless driving
- Trespass in structure or conveyance
- Unnatural and lascivious act
- Breach of peace
- Ordinance violations
Why You Need To Take Misdemeanor Charges Seriously
While the sentencing guidelines are certainly lighter than they would be for a felony conviction, they are nonetheless serious. You should also consider the noncriminal consequences associated with having a conviction on your record.
Any conviction could make it harder to get hired for a job or find desirable housing. If you are a student pursuing a college education, your criminal record could impact your eligibility to enroll at a certain school or to access government loans.
Working with a skilled and tenacious attorney like Lee Viacava is an important investment in your future. He can help you resolve your charges in the most favorable manner available.
Contact Us To Discuss Your Legal Options
The Lee Viacava Law Firm is based in Fort Myers and serves clients throughout southwest Florida. For a better understanding of your criminal charges and your options for resolving them, contact us to arrange your initial consultation with a highly experienced criminal defense attorney. Simply call us at 239-990-2667 or send us an email.